--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "emilymae.reyn" <emilymae.reyn@...> wrote:

> wrote:
(snip>
> I see traditional systems as an attempt to define that
> mystery within their POV.  I  believe it is premature to
> buy into that.  Not to ignore their input, but not jump
> the gun and interpret inner experience of altered states
> within their framework.  I think we are babies at this
> and many people act like they don't know this. Altered
> states may not be higher states at all.
>
> EM:  Perhaps this take is what Judy disagrees with.

First, just to be clear, what I was objecting to in Curtis's
were not the kind of things he's said in this one.

As to his paragraph above, it should be noted that human
beings have been interpreting inner experience of altered
states for many millennia; we're hardly "babies at this."

Other than that, what he says is too vague and general for
me to say whether I agree or disagree with it. I will say
I don't think it much matters what ontological framework
one uses to explicate higher states of consciousness (by
which I mean those resulting from meditation and other
spiritually oriented practices of the Eastern traditions)--
as long as the framework isn't imposed on others or used
to exalt groups or individuals above others.

(snip)
> > TM was a very regimented system in how we were trained
> > in a vocabulary for how to express our experiences.
> > At first this was very exhilarating and allowed us to
> > share our inner lives with a shared word and phrase
> > group.  But now I see it as a limited language of
> > groups like TM, providing more emotional experience of
> > understanding something due to pattern recognition
> > instead of actually, deeply thinking about how to
> > express inner experience outside the buzz words. So I
> > am at once handicapped by my experience and positively
> > affected by having taken it all so far that I realize
> > that mystical subjective experience is something
> > interesting.  But not necessarily in the way that the
> > groups think of it.
>
> EM:  Interesting.  Judy may disagree with you here also

I don't have much tolerance for the kind of psychobabble
Curtis is into these days; I don't think it has much to
do with the TM experience on its own terms. Or to put it
another way, I don't think psychobabble serves to
elucidate the nature of or reason for TM-babble.

Here's an example of the latter:

"...clear transcending, witnessing transcending, witnessing
the celestial level, realizing that what you are experiencing
as outside you is actually the same unboundeness as your own
Self, having that thread of unity woven into the cloth of
Brahaman as even those things not directly perceived are
enveloped by your Self..."

Obviously these are incredibly abstract experiences that
have virtually nothing to do with everyday experience or
even of garden-variety altered states. To refer to this
kind of description as "providing more emotional
experience of understanding something due to pattern
recognition" strikes me as an attempt to force it into an
inappropriate psychological mold, to demystify the
mystical and thereby delegitimize it.

(snip)