> Good rap, Curtis. For me, as I said earlier, any
> exhortation to "read the book and then we can talk"
> is meaningless *if I have zero interest in the subject
> matter of the book*. Reading it just isn't going to
> happen. In this particular instance, I have zero
> interest in people's subjective experience of NDEs.
>
> On a slightly higher level, however, I see this
> discussion (and some of the antipathy it has gener-
> ated) as an extension of my favorite quote from the
> FFL Home Page: "What is wanted is not the will to
> believe, but the wish to find out."
>
> For some of us (you, me, Salyavin, Paligap, etc.),
> I think it is safe to class us as "Wish to find
> out-ers." We are not committed to any particular
> belief or set of beliefs re (in this instance)
> life after death. Therefore when we encounter
> claims either pro or con about its existence, our
> PROCESS is simply to "wish to find out." We don't
> approach any data we gather along the way as either
> confirming or denying something we believe in, cuz
> we (or in this case maybe just me) don't HAVE any
> fixed beliefs in this regard.
>
> For "believers," those who DO have an investment
> in a belief (in this instance in life after death),
> when they encounter data that seems to contradict
> their beliefs, they perceive this as a challenge,
> or even as an insult. Their PROCESS in my opinion
> is often to search for data that *validates* or
> "seems to prove" their existing beliefs. So they
> glom onto subjective reports as if they were "proof."
> When someone suggests that they're NOT proof, they
> sometimes get uppity because the contrary data
> is perceived as a challenge to their beliefs.
>
> Me, I roll with "wish to find out." With regard
> to this particular instance, I tend to actually
> *have* beliefs in reincarnation and life after
> death, based on subjective experiences of my own.
> But I'm not attached to them. And I don't consider
> them anything *more* than beliefs. They are NOT
> "truth" or "fact" or anything approaching it. They
> are just theories that I've developed to explain
> my subjective experiences. So when I find data
> that seems to contradict these theories, it
> doesn't raise my hackles at all. Nothing is
> challenging a belief that I've invested in,
> and I can just as easily accept "no life after
> death" as I can accept "life after death."
>
> Just my opinion...

"Just" indeed. You are one of the greatest 'generalizers' I have ever come
across. You are also the greatest hypothesizer of other peoples' beliefs and
positions which is based on nothing but your own knee jerk, cookie cutter
reactions which repeat themselves endlessly.  I think you expound on what you
think others believe, in their narrow little worlds, because you need a
springboard off which to plunge into being able to talk unceasingly about
yourself. Carry on, no one can stop you. I'm going to keep reading your posts
simply because I am an eternal optimist.