--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@...> wrote:

> On 04/10/2013 01:28 PM, turquoiseb wrote:
> >
> > So it's been a busy day, what with us having to rush out a
> > release of the product I'm working on (which BTW is on the
> > short list for Best Mobile Development Environment in a poll
> > being conducted by a fairly respected global software
> > organization). So I'm kicking back in my 'hood in the 5th
> > arrondissement in a pizza joint across the street from where
> > I live, with a glass of Westmalle Tripel, my laptop, and a
> > football game on the TV all in front of me.
>
> The two multi-platform environments I have looked at and in
> some cases tried are Corona and Marmalade. I think both fell
> short of what I needed or required learning another API. I
> know for one you still needed a Mac if you were going to do
> iOS apps.

Duh. Try to download the iOS SDK to any platform other
than a Mac. Can't be done. On the product I'm working
on, you can develop hybrid HTML5, CSS, and Javascript
apps for multiple platforms, but *of course* you need
to add proprietary code to take advantage of the weirdo
aspects of each platform and add proprietary Java or
Objective-C code to them. When developing for the Mac,
you need to *compile on the Mac*. There is simply no
way around that, because Apple won't download its SDK
to other platforms. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

That does not say that a multi-platform development IDE
doesn't have its place, and its advantages. Our users
are currently "building once, deploying many times" for
iOS (both iPhone and iPad), Blackberry, Android, Win8
(both PC and Mobile) and several other platforms, with
full security and authentication, integrated testing
environments, and deployment environments built in. Plus,
the IDE I'm working on is free for developers. Can
either of the platforms you named rival that? I don't
know, and am genuinely curious...