 From: Bhairitu <noozg...@sbcglobal.net>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2013 2:11 PM
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Just do nothing, and sit there

On 04/15/2013 11:26 AM, Richard J. Williams wrote:
> Maybe it's time to stop focusing on how many
> calories we burn in the gym and instead let's
> focus on how our body expends calories outside
> the gym. According to what I've read, strength
> training builds muscle; having more muscle helps
> you burn more calories, even when you are doing
> nothing.
>
> So, just build muscles, then do nothing, just
> sit there? Go figure.
>
> "You burn calories throughout the day regardless
> of what you are doing, but exercise helps increase
> the rate at which you burn those calories. With
> most forms of traditional steady-state cardio,
> you expend calories while you're exercising, but
> once you stop, you quickly go back to your normal
> metabolic rate."
>
> 'The Truth About Weight Training vs. Cardio'
> Huffington Post:
> http://tinyurl.com/3prvul4

Yes, this has been long know especially since the late 90s.  I recall
radio Dr. Dean Edell mentioning it on his show where he daily would
report medical research.  However how soon one's metabolic rate goes
back to normal may vary.

About 70% of all medical advice is for "true" vata types who are thin
and tend more toward hypertension and high cholesterol.  The reason I
say "true" is because I find the vata type often referred to by
meditators is someone who has blown out their sympathetic system hence
spacey and has a lower metabolism.  This is why ayurveda needs to be
adjusted a bit for the US as compared to India.

According to activity tables when I was playing in a cover band where we
were playing rock tunes I was burning as much as 1400 calories a night
playing drums.  When I stopped doing that it became more difficult to
keep my weight down.  My kapha nature kicked in.

Also the metabolic thing is why some people won't lose weight even on a
1200 calorie a day diet.