On 04/20/2013 01:02 AM, card wrote:
> Oddly 'nuff, two of my favorite classical tunes, Beethoven's
> Moonlight and Chopin's Fantasie-impromptu are both in the key
> of C# minor!
>
> And furthermore, seems to me the composers themselves didn't much
> appreciate those particular tunes! LoL!

Composers usually select the key of a melody for it's color.  The key of
C# minor has a different color that C minor even though just a half step
adjacent.  The difference may not be very obvious t an untrained ear but
it is to a musician.  I also say "usually" as some music was written for
less competent musicians or to be played more easily on certain
instruments.  That's why you have Bb blues tunes because then the key
for trumpet and clarinet would be C.  And there are keys that are more
easily played on guitar than others so often rock and country pieces
will be found to be in those more open string keys.

BTW, for those who watched and listened to the Hans Zimmer piece I
posted here a couple days ago, I was chatting about it to the local
musican who was working in Hollywood and it turns out he worked for Hans.