emptybill:
> ...we have experienced death many times. If death
> is a samadhi, then where has the "samadhi" gone?

In fact, the word Samadhi seems to have been deliberately
avoided, except in the case of the later Vedanta work,
Vedantasara.

There is no reference in the Upanishads to a meditation
practice leading to the suspension of the faculties such
as we find in the literature dealing with yoga.

In the Hindu scriptures the word Samadhi first appears
in the Maitrayni (6.18, 34), a late Upanishad. This text
apparently recognizes five of the eight limbs of
Patanjali's classical Ashtanga Yoga.

It should be noted that there are over 200 Upanishads in
the Vedic literature and all were composed after the
Gautama Buddha's passing.

It would seem that yogic practice entered into
Upanishadic and Vedantic literature osmosis-like, a
blending of Buddhist yogic and Upanishadic milieus.

Samadhi: 1. Sanskrit (Saúmaúdhi) n. Jap., sanmai or
zanmai 2. Nirvana, Parinirvana 3. from the root word
'Sam', to establish, make firm. 4. A conscious experience
that lies beyond waking, dreaming, and deep sleep.
5. A non-meditative meditative mental equipoise.