On 9/12/05 7:00 PM, "akasha_108" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I know this is a fictional account, but I do believe in a large
> number of cases it is an accurate picture, watch a couple of Soprano
> episodes. The mob runs their act out of a north Jersey strip club
> called "Bada Bing". This is the local strip joint--not the upscale
> "gentleman's clubs" or the Moulin Rouge.
>
> You may be living a bit too much in a fictional world -- viewing the
> world based on ficional acounts. :)  I mean did the name "Bada Bing"
> give you a sense that some literary license might be being taken?

Of course, it is parodying Italian-American stereotypes.

 Do
> you feel that Bada Bing is really representative of modern US clubs?

It's accurate on different levels to different situations.

> Perhaps it is in low population rural areas.

Probably more likely.

 It is a good Hollywood
> fantasy of what a fictional mob boss might be engaged in? Do you think
> most clubs are owned by the mafia?

No.

> I have seen a few episodes. How are the girls at Bada Bing being
> exploited?

They are used for sex. Some are drug addicts who work for their fix. Some
are exploited for sex by he owners.

>> At the same time there are high class, upscale places, which are
> probably like the places Pete is describing in the Florida "Gold
> Coast" (one of the wealthiest areas in this country). Probably more a
> mixed bag.
>
> Yes, I think there are a range of clubs. It would be a mistake if one
> found some low level club where there is some coercion and
> exploitation -- and I am sure there are some -- and extrapolate that
> to all clubs.

Could be. However at some level their is the exploitation of women who are
desperate for money--for what ever reason--who are used because of that
need. The symbol of the go-go dancer in a cage seems to symbolize this sense
that men or women's need for *control* over and above others.

>> It is also worth mentioning that prostitution is "Vedic". According
> to  "Natural Law" it is acceptable for certain castes to do this. But
> before you go championing Maharishi Brothels ;-) you should definitely
> check out the > film _The Day My God Died_, which was mentioned here
> before (> http://www.thedaymygoddied.com/ ).
>
> So you have jumped from contemporary clubs in the US to brothels in
> India. Do you really equate such? That was my concern with my original
>  post that in your mind you were bashing US clubs but thinking of
> reasons why 3rd world brothels are exploitive.

They are related phenomenon across the the world. Of course I would expect a
greater level of exploitation in the "third world", eg. Being old into
sexual slavery.

>> If you get LinkTV you may also have seen the pieces on the "Stans",
> the Islamic republics of the old Soviet Union, which are very
> impoverished and  women are routinely sold into slavery--to the tune
> of about 25% of the  population. If you read National Geographic you
> may have read their article on world prostitution.
>
> I agree the are some horrid examples of sex trafficing in parts of the
> world. How does that make US dancers, in modern clubs, exploited.

That would depend on what you would feel would pass for exploitation. The
answers are out there if you want to find them.

>> John Lennon said it when he said "Woman is the nigger of the world."
>
> OK. So how does that make a case that US dancers, in modern clubs, are
> exploited.

This seems to be something you need to look into yourself if you have such
questions.

>> We claim to live in a country that idealizes equality--then how come
> half of congress aren't women?
>
> OK. Now I get you. Its a beautiful argument. US dancers, in modern
> clubs, are exploited because less than half of congress are not
> female. Ok I am indeed following you now!

No, it does not appear you are following me. Male dominance and control are
key elements in the worldwide exploitation of women.