> > Nonsense.

authfriend:
> Oh, a well-formulated scientific argument, salyavin. ;-)
>
> My assertion stands, even without the parenthetical. Brains
> and consciousness are very highly *correlated*, but that
> doesn't nail causation. Faucets and water are very highly
> correlated; does that mean faucets *cause* water? See, I
> can make the water appear and disappear just by turning the
> faucet handle! That's like bonking you on the head and
> making your consciousness disappear, right?
>
> Ever read any David Chalmers?

What we need is an operational definition of
consciousness and altered states of consciousness and
what, if any, are the neural correlates - that's
neuroscience.

According to Ken Wilber, there may be a spectrum of
consciousness. Wilber has described consciousness as a
spectrum, with ordinary awareness at one end, and the
more profound types of awareness at higher levels.

Most philosophers who do not accept the possibility of
zombies, so there seems to be a self-awareness to
consciousness. Is consciousness the product of biology
or is biology the result of being conscious? It's
like comparing apples to oranges.

'The Spectrum of Consciousness'
by Ken Wilber
Quest Books, 1993