> Here I am in Yet Another Cafe, this time a new one, in
> new 'hood. It caught my eye when I was wandering around
> last night, as did the fact that it had free Wifi, so I
> decided to come back tonight and spend some time here
> at a table in front of it.
>
> The cafe itself is not terribly crowded, which is a plus
> for me, but probably a bummer for the owners. I like it
> because, true to its name, its walls are covered with
> posters, from all eras of French poster art. I happen
> to own the originals of some of the copies on their
> walls, from the late 1800s series "Les Maitres de
> l'Affiche" and "L'Estampes Modernes" collections, so
> for me this is a little like being at home.
>
> Except for the people passing by, that is. If I sit
> outside my house in Leiden, I am not nearly as likely
> to be entertained by a street performer juggling while
> balancing a large bowl of goldfish on his head. Or by
> women competing for the obviously coveted Who Can Wear
> The Shortest Skirt Award.
>
> Or see hordes of tourists from all parts of the world
> walking by, gawking at all the shops, restaurants,
> and cafes like this one, many adorned with people
> sitting at tables like mine, also writing -- either
> in their paper notebooks, or on tablet computers or
> laptops. Guess I'm not the only person to gain some
> inspiration from people-watching. Hey, some people
> have weirder fascinations.
>
> Today was a *very* busy day at work, so I haven't
> checked out FFL since my last post, and haven't
> missed it in the least. I didn't even bother to go
> back and "catch up" tonight when I sat here. What's
> the point of doing that, after all? The people who
> talk *about* me are never going to say anything new,
> and the ones who actually talk *to* me haven't been
> posting much lately anyway.

Yes, excellent point and you are very savvy not to read the forum to which you
contribute. I mean, no one really has anything very new, original or
non-argumentative to say. It is best to leave them be, to stew in their own
morass of ill will and repetitiveness. You definitely have figured out the key
to existing and flourishing here at FFL, you with your rich, metropolitan
lifestyle and devil-may-care attractive swagger. I wish I was you Barry, all
suave and world-wise and lucky, lucky, lucky to be seated at this cozy French
cafe just watching the world go by. I think I can not but envy you; my life is
so drab in comparison.

> Meanwhile I get to sit here and just watch the crowds,
> relax after another Deadline Day, and really, really
> enjoy Paris At Its Best. Warm summer nights like this
> one are a delight. I get off on just watching everyone
> out and about, walking by. And if someone interesting
> sits at the next tables, I'll probably get off on
> chatting with them -- in English if need be, but if
> not, I'll stumble through a conversation in one of
> my many other not-quite-mastered languages.

I had no idea you were near fluent in many languages. This is just one more
feather in your cap and how I wish I, too, could converse with multiple
cultures - comfortable in any language with complete strangers.

> And to think...somewhere out there in FFL Land, there
> are people who can only get off if they can entice
> other people into arguing with them.

I know, I have come to realize that I am surrounded by cretins and, not only
that, I am one of them. I am turning over a new leaf; no more enticing, no more
arguing. I am on a mission to become JUST LIKE YOU. Please enjoy some escargots
and a baguette for me, if only I could be there with you. Have a wonderful
evening.