Even though I like Holly Hunter, and I even loved the combination
of her and Jane Campion in "The Piano," I have become so incredibly
disappointed by Campion's work since that I'm not really willing to
give her another shot. Besides, I'm unconvinced of her ability to
make movies (or TV) about "spiritual" figures, period.

After all, we are talking about the director who made arguably the
worst film ever made about cults, "Holy Smoke." In it, she managed
the almost-impossible task of getting terrible performances from
not only Harvey Keitel, but Kate Winslet as well.

Then "In The Cut" was so terrible that in the theater I saw it in,
over half of the audience got up and walked out. This despite another
talented (but wasted on Campion) cast, including Meg Ryan, Jennifer
Jason Leigh, and Mark Ruffalo.

But follow up with more impressions of the series, if you continue
watching it. My admiration for Holly Hunter might outweigh my
distaste for Jane Campion if enough people rave about it.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Seraphita"  wrote:

> On BBCtv tonight I just watched the first episode of Top of the Lake
> (available to watch for free on BBC iPlayer and Netflix) in which
Holly