I haven't practiced mindfulness consistently for any length of time. I also
haven't practiced to run marathons, either, so if I comment on marathon
training's effects it will be based on reading the research rather than actual
experience.

In the case of mindfulness and concentration, I'm simply going by what the
scientific research shows is the long-term outcome of practicing such things:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2693686

That study was designed by proponents of the various practices being studied
(Alexander was head of teh Psychology Department of MIU, and Langer was a
Professor of Psychology at Harvard U., who has published many books and
articles and studies on mindfulness) so that every student had similar
expectations about what their practice would do for them.

If it sounded like I was claiming to be an expert in mindfulness, I apologize.
Of course, after 40 years of doing TM, I don't consider myself an expert in TM,
either, but then, neither was Maharishi.

L.