You could have saved yourself a lot of time by
just posting "I am a nobody, stuck in upstairs
apartment, alone and I have to sit at a cubicle
all day and do word processing in French - and
I can't even read French - so you suck Lawson,
with your fancy home office with a Mac and AC
and  Cable, writing code for money - I hate you
and all those famous people you look up to,
because I have to work all day to pay the rent
instead of posting all day to FFL and watching
TV. Shit, it's raining again!"

On 8/7/2013 4:13 AM, turquoiseb wrote:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com <mailto:FairfieldLife%40yahoogroups.com>, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@...> wrote:

> By famous people, I meant people like David Lynch,
> Clint Eastwood, Howard Stern, Donvan, Jerry Seinfeld,
> and so on, all of whom have been meditating in the
> 4 decade range.

Lawson, don't you *ever* get tired of being a
perpetual groupie, and gaining your sense of
self worth by associating yourself in your mind
with people you've never met, and with whom the
only thing you have in common is that you all
once learned a simple, rudimentary technique
of meditation?

You demonstrate a classic syndrome among TMers,
one that started with *Maharishi's* groupie-love.
The man was just *shameless* about sucking up to
people who were famous or rich, and then trying
to use *their* fame, or their celebrity, or their
names to enhance his own, as if some of their
creativity and success could "rub off on him"
by association.

The issue is NOT what a few cherry-picked "success
stories" (most of whom were famous LONG before
they ever learned TM) have done with their lives.
It's what YOU -- and others like you who keep
trotting out this "Just look at the famous TMers"
meme -- have done with your lives.

Me, I'm just an ordinary, garden-variety writer
who currently gets paid fairly well to shuttle
back and forth between the Netherlands and France.
I've never claimed to be "enlightened," and have
no organization I'm part of or "represent," and
no "image" to maintain. So I can just be myself.
There is no one I even *could* suck up to in an
attempt to bolster my supposed "specialness."

But YOU GUYS seem to fall back on this "Just look
at the famous TMers" meme any time someone asks
YOU what you've accomplished with YOUR lives.

What's up with that? It couldn't possibly be that
you *haven't* accomplished very much with your
lives, could it? It couldn't be that few people
you even have had *contact with* in the TMO have
ever done much with their lives, could it?

But it doesn't matter, as long as there are one
or two "famous TMers" you can point at whenever
the issue comes up. Like Paul McCartney, who only
claimed to have stopped smoking dope a year or so
ago. Or David Lynch, who hasn't done a film other
than music videos, festival trailers, or shorts
since 2007. Or Donovan, whose new album "Shadows
Of Blue" was self-published and is so obscure you
can't even find it on Amazon. Clint, to his credit,
is still trying to make movies, but his production
seems to be in financial jeopardy, possibly as a
result of his "talk to the chair" Eastwooding
routine. Jerry Seinfeld? Well, to his credit,
the writing for "Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee"
was nominated for an Emmy, but other than that he
doesn't seem to have done much of anything except
guest performances and voice-overs since his show
went off the air in 1998.

Seems to me that if you want to continue to gauge
your *own* self worth by associating yourself with
TMers, you're gonna have to search a bit further
to find any who are "worthy."

An alternative, of course, might be actually DOING
something yourself, instead of living on fantasies
based on a dogma that is not and was never true.