To get the bad taste out of my eyes from watching a couple of episodes
of the US version of "The Bridge," I decided to watch the new season of
"Borgen." What a difference.

For those who have never seen the series, it's a drama set in and around
the buildings of the same name (meaning "citadel" or "castle") which
house the Danish government. The first two seasons dealt with the rise
to power of the (fictional) first woman Prime Minister of the country,
and with all of the shit she had to deal with on a daily basis, both in
political life and private life.

And they were brilliant, in all of the ways that Danish TV series are,
and US series (on the whole) are not. It was a series filled with nuance
and subtlety and real characters with real-world problems. It "pulled no
punches" when dealing with the political pressures of Danish politics
(mainly centering on issues of immigration and corruption), but it did
so without histrionics, and without the posturing so present in American
"political" dramas. But what made the series so brilliant was that it
wasn't about politicians and News broadcasters, it was about human
beings who happened to be politicians and News broadcasters.

These people aren't different from anyone else, and "Borgen" brought
that to life on the TV screen. They have "issues," like anyone else.
They have problems at home, and with their romances, like everyone else.
And they make mistakes, just like everyone else.

The main draw of the series, as with all of the shows created by the DR
production company there, is the strength of the actors chosen to
portray the roles, and the dialogue given to them to portray. Season 3
starts with the former Prime Minister having been voted out of office a
few years before, and wanting to return to politics, but feeling
betrayed by all of the compromises her former political party has been
making. So she starts another political party, one dedicated to
principle rather than expediency. It's really great so far, so I highly
recommend it to others who saw the former two seasons and liked them.