bhairitu, that "Now, now" made me smile. Makes me realize how fun and funny
language is, how 2 little words can convey a nuanced tone.

________________________________
 From: Bhairitu <noozg...@sbcglobal.net>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, September 1, 2013 11:00 AM
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Borgen, season 3

On 09/01/2013 03:25 AM, turquoiseb wrote:

>To get the bad taste out of my eyes from watching a couple of episodes
>of the US version of "The Bridge," I decided to watch the
              new season of
>"Borgen." What a difference.

Now, now, I watched the first episode of Broen.  I don't understand
    why you didn't like the US remake.  After all it's by the same
    writers and producers and done with a better budget.  The storyline
    was pretty much the same but adapted to the US/Mexican border.  I
    don't think Americans would have found a show about the the
    Denmark/Swedish border to be all that compelling.  Then they were
    able to bring the Mexican drug lord element in and the coyote
    element as well.

I think it is just your "Amercans sucks, Europe good" meme you often
    expound on here.  Of course you know I get that.  Hell, when the
    first day of my TTC in France I looked around and thought "you
    idiot!  You're going be cooped up in a hotel for six months when you
    should be traveling around seeing Europe!"  I did intend to get back
    and do exactly that but so far that was limited to a stopover in
    Amsterdam to and from India.

Of course the Swedish actress is sexier and Unger chose to play the
    role about bit more wallflower which sells the Aspergers a little
    better.

OTOH "Crossing Lines", a European production which played on NBC
    this summer did respectively.  Yup, some scenes had subtitles too.
    This may be the odd difference between Comcast running NBC and GE
    which ran it.

After watching the first episode of Broen, which looked like someone
    captured it off a DVR on the composite  output.  I watched a DVD
    rental "Evidence" with Steven Moyer and Radha Mitchell.  Probably no
    interest to you and not to much of FFL but it was found footage
    horror flick with the spin being that Moyer is a forensic video
    analyst.

After that I tried to start a popular title on Netflix and stopped
    it as soon as it began rebuffering. So chose a Netflix recommended
    title "Abduction of Eden" which was excellent.  I had intended just
    to watch about a half hour but finished the whole film.  It's based
    on an true story about a girl who was abducted and forced into
    prostitution in the Las Vegas area.  I think we'll be seeing more
    from the young actor Matt O'Leary who did a bang up job on his role
    as her handler.  But I have to be a bit embarrassed as I assumed it
    was shot in the Southwest.  It was shot in Washington state in areas
    I am familiar with.  But eastern Washington doesn't look a whole lot
    different in the desert areas than the Southwest.  Just no
    suguaros.  :-D

>For those who have never seen the series, it's a drama set
              in and around
>the buildings of the same name (meaning "citadel" or
              "castle") which
>house the Danish government. The first two seasons dealt
              with the rise
>to power of the (fictional) first woman Prime Minister of
              the country,
>and with all of the shit she had to deal with on a daily
              basis, both in
>political life and private life.
>
>And they were brilliant, in all of the ways that Danish TV
              series are,
>and US series (on the whole) are not. It was a series
              filled with nuance
>and subtlety and real characters with real-world problems.
              It "pulled no
>punches" when dealing with the political pressures of
              Danish politics
>(mainly centering on issues of immigration and
              corruption), but it did
>so without histrionics, and without the posturing so
              present in American
>"political" dramas. But what made the series so brilliant
              was that it
>wasn't about politicians and News broadcasters, it was
              about human
>beings who happened to be politicians and News
              broadcasters.

>These people aren't different from anyone else, and
              "Borgen" brought
>that to life on the TV screen. They have "issues," like
              anyone else.
>They have problems at home, and with their romances, like
              everyone else.
>And they make mistakes, just like everyone else.
>
>The main draw of the series, as with all of the shows
              created by the DR
>production company there, is the strength of the actors
              chosen to
>portray the roles, and the dialogue given to them to
              portray. Season 3
>starts with the former Prime Minister having been voted
              out of office a
>few years before, and wanting to return to politics, but
              feeling
>betrayed by all of the compromises her former political
              party has been
>making. So she starts another political party, one
              dedicated to
>principle rather than expediency. It's really great so
              far, so I highly
>recommend it to others who saw the former two seasons and
              liked them.