 From: Bhairitu <noozg...@sbcglobal.net>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, September 21, 2013 3:22 PM
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Software 'upgrades' as spiritual practice

It's not always a rational thing.  The company I worked for had focus groups to
decide what feature should be in the next product.  Some of those groups just
told me they were satisfied with the product as it was.  The old "if it ain't
broke, don't fix it" thang.  It's the stockholders who want new stuff too so
their holding rise.  I coined the term "stockholderware" because of that.

On 09/21/2013 09:54 AM, Share Long wrote:

>Well, noozguru, is it simply lust for something new? Or is it some drive to
>stimulate sleepy parts of the brain? Fire up some new neuronal pathways? In
>the past I would have automatically agreed. But now, I'm not so sure it's
>always a bad thing!
>

>________________________________

                            consumer.  They always crave something new.
                            It doesn't matter if the software does
                            everything they need they still want
                            "something new" or your competition will
                            create "something new" to steal your
                            market.  So companies are always tweaking
                            this, adding that to just satisfy that lust.

>Strange world we live in, Charlie Brown.
>
>On 09/20/2013 11:47 PM, turquoiseb wrote:
>

>>All of this furor over Neo has reminded me that the world of mobile apps is
>>just SO much more spiritual than the world of Web apps. Those who are
>>bitching are missing out on this.
>>
>>Direct Update ("We're going to 'upgrade'
                                your app without your permission the
                                instant you log in") is SO much more Zen
                                than Voluntary Upgrade ("We have a new
                                version of our app...do you want to try
                                it?). The latter invites people to dig
                                their heels in, stick with the Old
                                Familiar, and resist change. The latter
                                enforces change.

>>After all, if you can remember that
                                there was a previous version of the app,
                                you're just not Here And Now enough, are
                                you?  :-)