 From: "s3raph...@yahoo.com" <s3raph...@yahoo.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, September 29, 2013 11:46 AM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] RE: The Beast and the unborn

Re Steve Sundur's  "Hey Judy, sorry for any nastiness. Seraphita's analysis of
the book touched on some of the reasons I did like the book.  Addiction issues
have always been of interest to me . . . when the discussion of this book came
up before, many years ago, I was more confident that the modality put forth in
the book could be effective.":

If we are still talking about Crowley's Diary of a Drug Fiend, I mentioned
above that he himself never lost his heroin habit. The drug was prescribed for
his asthma so maybe he never had a fighting chance to stay clean.

Curiously, I used the Beast's ideas when I quit smoking. The gist of Crowley's
thinking here is that when a man (say) decides to stop a drug habit (let's say
smoking) his surface consciousness comes up with lots of reasons - my clothes
stink/it's an expensive habit/I'm coughing up phlegm/ . . . - but his deeper
nature (his True Will) is actually rather keen on puffing away. The man has set
up an uneven contest that he's destined to lose.

When I stopped smoking I did two things. First I decided to only stop for a
week. That way it couldn't be any worse than having a dose of flu and there
wouldn't be that nagging, horrid thought "I will never again know the pleasure
of inhaling on a cigarette". Secondly, as I've always been inordinately curious
about whatever takes my fancy doesn't that suggest inordinate curiosity is part
of my True Will? So I thought, I'll treat the experience of going cold turkey
as if I'd just ingested a novel, experimental drug and I had to keep track and
report back on what the effects were. In other words, I made the quitting into
a game - and a game that would just be a short, sharp shock. At the end of the
week I'd (more-or-less) sailed through the adventure and I knew I'd never smoke
a cigarette again. Hey, maybe I should set up shop as an addiction counsellor!