."..what Maharishi wanted known about the origins of Transcendental Meditation"

 Nicely and carefully phrased, Judy. That would be the streamlined party-line -
any resemblance to truth is purely incidental.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 Seraphita, if you're interested in what Maharishi wanted known about the
origins of Transcendental Meditation (i.e., the specific technique he taught),
see here (it's a 1993 post from the Usenet newsgroup
alt.meditation.transcendental, now archived on Google Groups):

 http://tinyurl.com/34bras http://tinyurl.com/34bras

 The post contains the first half of the introductory essay by Larry Domash to
the first volume of the Collected Papers (research studies on TM, published in
1975). The whole thing (that is, the whole first half) is of interest, but
Domash gets to the nitty-gritty about the origins of TM in the paragraph
beginning "As an unusually talented student..." if you want to skip the
background.

 Rick Archer has said he was present when Domash read the essay to Maharishi
for his approval, so we can be pretty sure it reflects the account Maharishi
wanted told. (Whether it's 100 percent accurate is anyone's guess.) It doesn't
exactly answer your question, but it seems clear that Maharishi didn't simply
parrot the meditation instructions given by Guru Dev (or at least didn't want
that to be the story).

 Seraphita wrote to Richard:

 So if I'm following your post correctly that means Guru Dev's own initiation
into meditation was essentially an initiation into "transcendental meditation"
(before it had that name obviously) - just like you and me! Would that have
been just a beginner's technique which he would later have abandoned? And, if
so, are there details of what his later practice was?