Well, the "gods" and "goddesses" are really just metaphors for laws of nature. They were made up to explain things to simple people. "Nama" meaing "bow down" really means allowing that energy in. The mantras are just sounds that have a certain effect just as different music has a different effect.

Mantra shastra isn't all that complicated. Much of this stuff was meant to be taught to simple people in villages who wouldn't have much education. Village tantra, however, is very suitable for the modern age because we don't have so much time for complicated things.

Simple beej mantras were used because they didn't require any energizing to be used. Anyone can teach them.

On 10/10/2013 01:05 AM, turquoiseb wrote:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, iranitea wrote:

> "Gimme a Shri, gimme a Shri, gimme a Namah Namah Namah!"
>
> Barry, I had this extra experience of becoming TM teacher two times. The first time I was only 20, and became only a student initiator, so I got only mantras 1-9. 4 years later I became full initiator, had to rehearse all the teaching material, and then got the full teacher initiation together with all others, now getting mantras 10-16. This in itself was a revelation, for as we got the student mantras 1-8, we got this extra mantra, 9, with which we could initiate in exceptional cases elder persons, that is any age beyond what we were usually allowed to teach.
>
> Now I learned that 9 was just the next mantra, assigned to the next age range. While listening to Maharishi pronouncing and explaining this on tape, you write this all down on a paper, and have three days to memorize them, and then must destroy the paper. Hearing and learning the new mantras, I couldn't get this song out of my head: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnNzDzPzI44 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnNzDzPzI44 <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnNzDzPzI44%20http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnNzDzPzI44%20>

I can certainly understand the humor you found in this situation. :-)
In my post I was trying to find some in the WHOLE CONCEPT
of these "fertilizer words" associated with TM "advanced techniques."

Since we all know now (despite the efforts of obfuscators on this
forum) what these "fertilizer words" MEAN, as well as the Hindu
gods and goddesses that the original TM bija mantras are assoc-
iated with, we can easily come up with a MEANING for this
mantra. And I think that if people can "step back" from their
TM indoctrination long enough, they might be able to find some
humor in the situation as we have.

Let me use an example to illustrate my point. Suppose you were
seeking a boon or a favor from some famous person. But suppose
that *in order to gain that person's favors* they required you to
address them as (using a timely example):

"Glorious glorious Miley Cyrus, I bow down to you, I bow
down to you!"

Doesn't quite "sit right," does it? I mean, who does this Miley
Cyrus babe *think she is*, to expect to be addressed thusly?
Even more, would you really *want* a favor or boon from some-
one so petty and so ego-driven as to *expect* to be addressed
that way and treated that way?

Now do a simple word substitution, and see what TMers have
*no problem* thinking many times a day (goddess chosen
from the original mantra example being discussed) in their
"advanced technique" practice:

"Glorious glorious Saraswat1, I bow down to you, I bow
down to you!"

Oh, but you may say, "Hey! Foul! It's not fair to compare a
*goddess* to Miley Cyrus."

Isn't it? If you bristle at Miley Cyrus feeling as if she should
be addressed that way to grant you a favor (say, an autograph),
how is that so different than goddess Saraswati expecting to
be addressed that way to grant you the favor of transcendence,
or enlightenment?

I think it's a Good Thing to "step back" from the conditioning
every so often, and look at things from a different point of
view, devoid of the "explanations" ("thought stoppers" you've
been told about them in the past. Things are *funnier* that
way, and we all need a little funny in our lives.  :-) :-) :-)