According to MMY in Beacon Light of the Himalayas' "For our practice, we select only the suitable mantras of personal Gods. Such mantras fetch to us the grace of personal Gods and make us happier in every walk of life." This statement was confirmed by Satyanand at a CCP I once attended in Berkely with Jerry Jarvis. Bhagavan Das wrote that MMY gave him the bija mantra Ram to use in his meditation.

But, strictly speaking, the bija mantras are not the actual names of the Gods - they are just the nick-names of the Devatas. Apparently only very highly evolved individuals get to be on a first name basis with God Almighty!

In fact, all the TM bija mantras are common tantric householder mantras. All the Devatas such as Rama, Ram Chandra, Devaki, Vasudeva and Krishna used these same mantras. The Devatas are deified heroes, that is, that are highly evolved humans. They reached a high level of consciousness by yogic means - tapas, and by utilizing the same non-ideational mnemonic devices as we TMers use today.

That's why MMY selected only suitable mantras that the ancient yogis used, because they are time-tested. In the Shankaracharya tradition, such mantras indeed fetch to us the grace of the Devatas, and they make us happier in every walk of life.

So, I mean, who doesn't like to hear the sound of their own name?

Work cited:

'It's Here Now (Are You?)'
By Bhagavan Das
Broadway, 1998