--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <s3raphita@...> wrote:
(snip)
> Would you describe yourself as a Christian?  If not, is there
> another label you would be happier with?

I can't think of a label that fits me. My heritage is
Christian (Presbyterian), but I didn't have a religious
upbringing, and I'm not a believer. On the other hand,
I find there's a lot to appreciate in thoughtful
Christian theology. For that matter, I've found a lot
to appreciate in every theology I've looked into.

>  I hate labels myself - too constricting - but as I live in a country whose
> major current of spiritual teaching has always been Christianity I do
> sometimes wonder if actually I could describe Christ as *our* Saviour - and
> therefore *my* Saviour. And this despite the fact that my mum and dad always
> disagreed as to whether or not I'd ever actually been baptised!.

Yeah, you'd need to get that little detail out of the way.

>  Buddha, Krishna, Lao-Tse, and so on, are invaluable but my appreciation is
> essentially intellectual whereas the Gospel accounts have the advantage of a
> powerful emotional impact.

Ever listen to good religious music, like, say, Bach's
Mass in B Minor?

> Need I add that pronouncements by Church leaders of all denominations always
> leave me shaking my head in despair!

Pope Francis has said some pretty good stuff recently.
Have you been reading his interviews?