--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com,  wrote:

> Re "the information in question came from JAPANESE history books":
>  What! Like the denials of wartime atrocities by the Imperial Army
> in China and elsewhere?

"History is written by the winners."
- axiomatic saying often misattributed to Winston Churchill

And often history is *rewritten* by the winners. That's a fact
of existence. It's not necessarily a "good" fact or a "bad" fact,
but it sure as shootin' seems to be a fact.

As a case in point, take the historical record of the Cathars,
a Christian sect that proliferated in the south of France in the
11th and 12th centuries until it was exterminated by the
Catholic Church.

Exterminated. Hundreds of thousands of *fellow Christians*
burned at the stake, tortured to death, or killed in the Crusades
(two of which were aimed *at* the Cathars, not at Jerusalem).
What would you expect the historical record -- written by the
winners, all of whom were in the back pocket of the Catholic
Church -- to say about this sect?

Well, the truth is "not much." Most history books brush them
aside as an annoying heresy that flourished for a short time
in the south of France. And in the historical archives there is
nothing to dispute this version, because all written works by
or about the Cathars were burned by the Church.

Almost all. It turns out that the most accurate picture we have
of the Cathars, what they believed, and how they lived comes
from within the Church's own ranks. It comes from the written
transcripts of the trials of the Inquisition, written by monks.

And, to their credit, these monks were *honest*. They wrote
down *exactly* what was presented into evidence, including
the statements of the Cathars, who were presumed guilty
before the trial even began. These "court records" are a
veritable historical treasure. Almost all of the serious
research on the Cathars comes from them. Almost. There
is an existing copy of the Consolomentum, their only
sacramental prayer.

There is little else to base modern history on. Other than the
ruins of their castles, all other traces of them were obliterated
by the winners. Now THAT is rewriting history.