Re "still are allowed to smoke their Gauloises and Gitanes on the terrace":

 I don't smoke any more but when I did I much preferred smoking indoors. The
fresh air ruins the taste. And when the weather turns cold and wet that simply
adds to the misery.

 Re "Many of them these days are smoking those electronic cigarettes and
vaping":

 That's like wearing a nicotine patch. It helps kill the craving but is no
substitute for real tobacco. The mystique of blowing smoke is a big part of the
subtle pleasure.

 I suspect there's a link between the energetic iconoclasm of the fifties,
sixties and seventies when like-minded people gathered together in smoke-filled
clubs, cafes, and bars versus the apathy of today when the rebels have to stay
solitary and at home if they want to smoke.

---In fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com, <turquoiseb@...> wrote:

 Another "sign" along the Rue de l'Esperance, found stenciled today on the wall
of a building:

https://scontent-a-cdg.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/q71/s720x720/1380087_690185317672271_839918340_n.jpg