The symbol for 'OM' does not occur in the Rig Veda (circa 1500 BCE). OM
isn't mentioned in the Rig because there was no written text back then
(archaic Sanskrit) - the symbol for OM was added much later.

It is found mentioned in the Chandogya Upanishad, (udgitha), which was
obviously composed after the historical Buddha's passing. OM is alluded to
in Patanjali's Yoga Sutra (pranava) (circa 200 BCE), and in the Bhagavad
Gita (circa 100 CE). The Gita appeared later than the great movement
represented by the early Upanishads.

So, if OM had been known before 400 BCE, it would have been mentioned by
the Buddha, Shakya the Muni.

The symbol OM isn't really a bija mantra at all; bijas didn't come into use
until the age of the tantrics (circa 100 CE). If you inspect the archaic
Sankrit of the Rig Veda, you will not find the OM symbol. OM was addded to
the text during the time of their arrangement by Pannini. For example, you
won't find the bija mantra 'phat' in the Rig Veda either.

So, how did we get the Pranava 'OM'? It's just the symbol of the
Transcendent, an expression that was added after the age of Tantrism, after
the invention of writing. OM is the mantra of assent. It means yes and
affirms and energizes whatever we say after it. OM is NOT a tantric bija
mantra.

Obviously, there were no esoteric symbols in Sanskrit before writing! The
first instance of writing in India occurs on the Sarnath Pillar erected by
Asoka (circa 200 BCE). There is no OM symbol in the Saraswati Civilzation
(circa 2400 BCE).

OM is a verbal expression, not part of the original Gayatri Mantra. OM is
not a primordial symbol - it is an invention of tantrics that was added
later. OM is merely a salutation, just like 'Amen" is used in Hebrew. For
example, there's no Amen expression in the Old Testament - it is added when
the passage is recited, as an affirmation.