My contention is that Hindu 'Tantrism' probably originated during the Gupta
period (280 to 550 CE), or later, in India. The Tantras are associated with
'medieval India,' having been written between 500 and 1800. Tantrism is not
Vedic (1200 to 1500 BCE) or pre-Vedic, and did not originate during the
Iron Age. None of the Tantras seem to be pre-Vedic, and in fact, are
antagonistic to the Hindu Vedas.

Kashmir Shaivism, which predates Hindu Tantrism, arose during the eighth or
ninth century CE. In contrast, the Buddhist Tantric  versions of the
'Prajnaparamita' date from around 500 CE, AFTER the Sutra Period in India.
So, the Buddhist Tantras came first, then Kashmere Tantras, and then Hindu
Tantras, as far as I can tell.

According to Bhattacharyya:

"It is to be noticed that although later Tantric writers wanted to base
their doctrines on the Vedas, the orthodox followers of the Vedic tradition
invariably referred to Tantra in a spirit of denunciation, stressing its
anti-Vedic character." - N.N. Bhattacharyya