The thing is: would you really want to bed someone who took monthly tests to
see what STDs he/she might have picked up over the past four weeks? It reminds
me of a spoof condom ad I saw with the tag line: "Let's face it, if she'd sleep
with you, she'd sleep with anyone." Isn't life so much simpler if you find a
soul mate and stay faithful to each other? Sigh . . . Guess I'm just
old-fashioned.

 Re "I read a short rap by one of my favourite authors, Ursula K. Le Guin":

 The only one of her books I've read was The Lathe of Heaven which didn't
really work for me. However, I've always had a soft spot for anarchist ideas
and I understand that two sci-fi titles that pick up on this theme in a
sympathetic style are Heinlein's The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress and Le Guin's The
Dispossessed. (One hostile critic of The Dispossessed dismissed it with the
comment: "Happy campers in North Korea". Ouch!)

 Have you read either and would recommend?

---In fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com, <turquoiseb@...> wrote:

 A number of years ago, I read a short rap by one of my favorite authors,
Ursula K. Le Guin. In it, she brilliantly pinpointed something about the
"sexual revolution" that I had never seen pinpointed before, and have rarely
since -- its brevity.

She defined the "sexual revolution" as that short period of history that
existed between the invention of penicillin and the birth control pill, and the
entrance of AIDS.

That was it, according to her. At *every other time in human history*, having
sex was a potentially fatal experience. Women could easily die in childbirth,
and before penicillin diseases like syphilis were largely untreatable, and
sometimes fatal.

We now live in the post-sexual-revolution era. At this point, sex has become a
potentially fatal experience again, or at the very least, an experience that
could lead to some non-fatal but pretty devastating STDs.

That's why I see this guy, and his app, kinda as heroes in the ongoing sexual
revolution. He took a problem and solved it, fairly gracefully.

http://www.fastcompany.com/3020641/meet-the-safest-man-in-america-to-have-sex-with

http://www.fastcompany.com/3020641/meet-the-safest-man-in-america-to-have-sex-with