Most people like to hear harmony in a song.  But I don't believe the singers
in the clip were singing in harmony spontaneously.  They've rehearsed the songs
and had cues on which part of the song they will sing in unison and which part
the lead singer will take the solo.

 Nonetheless, it is a delicate art to create a song that can deliver a tune
with the right balance of solo, harmony, beat and melody.   When the balance is
right, a great hit is born.

---In fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com, <turquoiseb@...> wrote:

 Given the response to my recent posts about Crosby, Stills, & Nash, I shall
continue on the general theme of vocal harmony. It's to some extent a "lost
art" in modern music, and that, to my way of seeing, is a pity. It's a high
art.

One of the best harmonists I know of in music is Emmylou Harris. In her taste
for this artform, she continues in the footsteps of her mentor, Gram Parsons,
and his love for the country harmonies he grew up with and introduced her to.

Although I appreciate the more formal art of musical composition, and "charting
out" harmonies on sheet music before attempting to perform them, for me, there
is nothing quite like "spontaneous harmony," the thing that happens between two
or more musicians who suddenly find themselves on the same musical wavelength
during the performance of the same song, spontaneously. Here are a few examples.

With Rodney Crowell (pure Louvin Brothers harmony):
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g8EqgRk-nw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g8EqgRk-nwhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g8EqgRk-nw
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g8EqgRk-nw

With John Starling (from the folk group Seldom Scene):
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYs2RbCcKsk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYs2RbCcKskhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYs2RbCcKsk
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYs2RbCcKsk

With Dolly Parton and Linda Ronstadt: