One has to be careful when dealing with pop artists' musical training. Some had formal training and it was purposefully omitted from bios. Don't forget back in the day when there was still music education in schools they had choir classes. Many of those student learned to read music and sing complicated musical pieces with complex harmony. A popular piece in the 1950s was "Poinciana" a latin tune with modern harmonies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4NafK3NFhA

A high school choir learning that one song with it's upper partials of chords was enough to allow them to sing a lot of other songs with complex harmonies. It seemed that about every high school choir back in the day was singing.

And don't underestimate what some artists learned from being in church choirs.