Astrology is outside my field of expertise. (Along with a hell of a lot of
other stuff, of course.) But your mentioning the astrological dimension brings
up something else I've always felt strongly about. And that is: whoever the
people were who wrote the Gospel accounts they were emphatically not the naive
peasant/worker types - which is the impression you get from Sunday School - but
instead they were well-educated and sophisticated and expected their writings
to be read by a similar class of people.

 Alas, the whole field has been dumbed down - like most of modern education!