--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Share Long  wrote:

> Ok, turq, here's a question for you: what goes to battle
> with ego?

There is rarely a *need* for "battle" if there are no egos
involved.

> Being? Truth? Love? I don't think so. Other egos? Hmmm...
> I'd guess yes. But that's just my opinion.
>
> Once again I don't understand why you get so het up
> about people having and sharing opinions. It's what we
> all do. Especially after we've survived our midlife crisis!

I have no issue at all with people having opinions. It's
when they try to present them as something *other than*
opinion -- as "truth," or worse, as some kind of cosmic
"Truth" -- that I cry bullshit.

> I think most people share opinions for the purpose of
> benefiting others.

And *that* is ego. Believing that your opinion is so cool
or so "right" or so "Truth-y" that sharing it will "benefit"
others.

> If they're misguided in that, well, there's obviously a
> learning curve involved. And maybe wanting to benefit
> others is the last stronghold of the ego. Hmmm...

Certainly believing that their opinion has the *ability*
to "benefit" others is one of the last strongholds of ego.

> And really, if you added up all your writing online, I
> bet you'd get close to 500 pages (-:

But -- unlike some here -- I neither expect people to read
what I post, or throw hissy-fits when others don't. Some
here actually throw tantrums when people don't *respond*
to what they've written.  :-)

> About character development, I'm making my way
> through the 5 previous seasons of Castle and it's so
> gratifying to watch the unfolding of all the different
> characters. But of course especially Castle and Beckett
> as they realize their love for each other more and more.

It's a completely formulaic series, but its strength is in
the actors, and the way they "fill out" the characters as
written. Nathan is a tour de force in this regard, no
matter what he's in, but Stana Katic is pretty good
at being interesting, too.