On 11/07/2013 05:16 AM, TurquoiseB wrote:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Share Long wrote:

> Also turq, I do find it interesting that Geography, Geology
> and Chemistry appear in the top 12. To me that indicates
> a deeper principle at work.

With chemistry, it's probably because the grad students
are already trying to land a high-paying job, and believing
that the more words they write, the more prospective
employers might be impressed. Geology might be the same
if they're trying to get jobs in the petroleum industry. But
geography? Go figure. Maybe it's just so boring that they
feel they have to write a lot to justify majoring in it. :-)

On another forum I get into debates with apparently unemployed software engineers about bitrates and frame resolution on streaming sites like Netflix and Hulu. Unless they can find something written online they won't believe that Hulu may be streaming some titles at 1080p. They only see things in technical terms and have never edited and encoded videos a I have. I can tell the difference between a 720p and 1080p stream with my eyes. I don't no stinkin' docs to prove what I see. Plus some of these techs have NEVER written a video player (I've written two). Hulu has to keep up with the "Jones" or the "Netflixes" in this case.

Also reminds me of managing programmers. I found there are two types: ones that jump in, roll up their sleeves and get the job done and others who will not write one line of code until they have read about and understand the entire API. The two types would fight with each other all the time too. The company owners want to see results not expertise.