--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com,  wrote:

> Orson Welles discusses the nature of 'cold reading', a type of
analysis used by many phony psychics and fortune tellers to trick their
customers into thinking they indeed do have special powers, and how some
can become so skilled at it that they actually trick themselves into
believing they are truly psychic.

>  http://youtu.be/IjPsnfysrp8 http://youtu.be/IjPsnfysrp8
http://youtu.be/IjPsnfysrp8 <http://youtu.be/IjPsnfysrp8
http://youtu.be/IjPsnfysrp8 http://youtu.be/IjPsnfysrp8>

Excellent. His point at the end about becoming a "shut-eye" is exactly
the point I was making earlier. If one is born with a talent for the
"tricks of the trade" such as cold reading, an eye for facial expression
and body language, and an ability to prompt people in a certain
direction via verbal and eye-movement cues, in time one can actually
start to believe the "I'm psychic" stuff. That's when it gets dangerous.

>  How do you tell a fake psychic from a real one?

Easy. If they're making money from their abilities, they're fake.  :-)