The brain seems to have a model of the body stored somewhere, somehow.
Meditators sometimes experience this as seeing the body with eyes closed during
meditation, which is interesting because the image of the body never includes
the head, only the way the body looks like from the head during waking. It
would seem the information for this internal image comes from the visual
system, which has that perspective on how the body looks. Out of body
experiences have been produced using laboratory methods, so it certainly seems
possible that a woo factor need not be involved.

 http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/08/070823141057.htm
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/08/070823141057.htm

 http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/110711081249.htm
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/110711081249.htm

 http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/09/130922205931.htm
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/09/130922205931.htm

 A spiritual path is just a special sort of illusion, and people who hold to
such views do tend to be threatened when those illusions are questioned, or
seem to be undermined by science which has been eroding spiritual and religious
beliefs for centuries.

 As for authfriend's beliefs in this regard, as least for the point of argument
she sometimes seems to hold some esoteric ideas, but unless she specifically
states just what she believes in this regard, I am not sure at all what she
believes. Her highly argumentative stance here might just be a product of her
personality tendencies, and have less to do with what she thinks is true. After
all, if you post something here, it is a near certainly that she will find
something wrong with it.

 It is not an absolute certainty because on rare occasions she has actually
agreed with something you have said. I have tendencies too, for example, I will
prefer a non-woo explanation over a woo explanation because it is more
logically connected to well established physics, chemistry, or biology for
which there is wide agreement for many basic functionalities of the world
observed in these disciplines.

 Woo depends a lot on personal, internal, messy, incoherent world views. The
human mind does not seem to be naturally adept at creating coherent models of
its experience but rather formulates these as the result of evolutionary forces
that worked to ensure survival. Now that it is far less likely that an
individual will die as a result of being eaten or lack of shelter etc. - the
world views that were crazy in the far past were exterminated speedily when
they did not work - but now they proliferate at an amazing pace and spread
verbally through a society or group. They still bring death. The killing of
doctors who perform abortions and 9/11 represent world models that spread from
individual minds to a larger group. One only need to look at opposing political
parties of any nation to see untested world views in practice. FLL itself shows
little conformity between the world views of individuals of our strange little
population here.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <turquoiseb@...> wrote:

 I think what she's trying to say is that the scientists left out The Woo
 Factor. Cultists always need The Woo Factor.

 --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com mailto:FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com,
authfriend wrote:

 > This seems like it may explain
 out-of-my-body-into-somebody-else's-body experiences, but not just plain
 old out-of-body experiences.

 http://www.livescience.com/41128-out-of-body-experiences-explained.html
http://www.livescience.com/41128-out-of-body-experiences-explained.html