According to MMY, the TM is based on selecting a suitable support for
meditation, called in India a "mantra", specifically a "bija" mantra. The
term bija in Sanskrit means "seed" and mantra is from the Sanskrit root
"man", to think, and "tra" a tool - so a mantra is a "tool for thinking".
The word "transcendental" means to go beyond the gross material world of
name and form. Mantras are used in meditation in order to more easily
transcend the world of relativity marked by constant change, to another
dimension that is unchanging, or the Absolute - Universal Consciousness.

Bija mantras are given out in an initiation by a guru. But, in fact a
mantra can be anything your guru says it is. It's just like the proverbial
string tied around your finger in order to remember something.

According to SBS, a bija mantra signifies a particular "istadevata" - a
sort of nick-name for one of the several deified heroes of Hindu and
Buddhist mythology. For example, Saraswati's bija is "sring" according to
Alain Danielou, the author of "Yoga: The Method of Reintegration". Danielou
was a long-time student of Swami Karpatri, who was a disciple of Swami
Brahmananda Saraswati, both of whom were adherents of the Sri Vidya sect
whose main scripture is the Sound Arya Lahari which enumerates several TMer
bija mantras.

Note: My actual bija is similar but slightly different from "sring"
mentioned in tantric textbooks.

This notion that Universal Consciousness is the ultimate reality is called
"monistic idealism" - the belief that reality is mentally constructed. That
there is a immaterial construction to existence that is beyond mere sensory
perception or thinking -  that the relative world is supported by pure
consciousness - which is the basis for the material life. This tradition
comes from the Kashmere "Trika" tradition, meaning that there are different
levels of human existence - namely the waking state, deep sleep, and the
dream state, (sometimes referred to as "the three cities") to which
Kashmere Trika adds a fourth state, pure consciousness, termed "turiya",
which means in Sanskrit "the fourth".

This fourth state is beyond the ordinary states of sense perception; it is
totally separate from the relative field of the senses - it is "pure
consciousness" or absolute non-changing Being. The idea here is that not
only is the bija mantra a mnemonic device but it is also an aid on the
spiritual path because of it's vibrational qualities. In Yoga Sutras we
read about the "Ishvara" the Transcendental Person, which is sort of like
the "God of Yogins".

Ishvara can help aspirants on the spiritual path to enlightenment through
developing an affinity with the Istadevata - termed "spanda" in Sanskrit -
which means vibration - the essence of this vibration is the ecstatic
self-referent Pure Consciousness personified as the Istdevata. According to
MMY everything is spanda - vibration - both in the relative field and in
the absolute field.

In Kashmere tantrism there are two phases of existence, transcendental rest
and relative activity. The phase of transcendental rest is called "pralaya"
in Sanskrit, which has no first beginning, therefore no primal cause. The
world of matter is only another form of consciousness. The Vedanta doctrine
contends that there is only one ultimate reality which never changes;
therefore the manifest world is an 'appearance' only, Maya. However, in
Kashmere tantrism  there is only one reality, but it has *two aspects* -
the manifestation, Maya, is real - this notion is based on the argument
that the effect cannot be different from its cause.

In "Beacon Light of the Himalayas", MMY says that we take the name of the
Istadevata in order to become attuned to the vibrations that animate the
universe: "For our practice, we select only the suitable mantras of
personal Gods. Such mantras fetch to us the grace of personal Gods and make
us happier in every walk of life."

But, strictly speaking, the bija mantras are not the actual names of the
Gods - they are just the familiar nick-names. Apparently only very highly
evolved individuals get to be on a first name basis with God Almighty! Go
figure.

In fact, all the TM bija mantras are common tantric householder mantras.
All the Devatas such as Saraswati, Ram, and Shyam are attuned to their own
vibrations. All of the Devatas are highly evolved humans that have become
realized Siddhas. The Devatas attained this elevated level by yogic means.
That's why MMY selected only suitable mantras that the ancient yogis used,
because they are time-tested - their effects are known.

According to the Shankaracharya tradition, such mantras indeed give us the
grace of the Hindu Gods. In India it is believed that it is gross to
address the Gods with their proper names, hence the bijas are just
nick-names used as a subtle way to get the attention of the Devatas in
order to help us on our spiritual path. I mean, who doesn't like to hear
the sound of their own nick-name?

In many satsangs SBS explained this for our understanding:

"When the mind is mainly engaged in thinking of God, you shall receive His
grace. The experience of the Bhaktas also goes to prove this declaration of
the Lord. People are unhappy because they do not have a chosen deity
(Ishta). Without Ishta, people turn out to be orphans. It is only Ishta
that saves one from anishta (untoward happenings). Of the five Deities -
Shankara, Vishnu (Ram, Krishna), Surya, Ganesh and Devi, whosoever is more
adorable to you, the mantra of that Deity should be repeated by you every
day. You must get to know the mantra of your Ishta, and the method of dhyan
(meditation) thereof, through an experienced Satguru and somehow or other,
devote some time every day in japa of the Ishta mantra and dhyan. Through
japa, Realisation (Siddha) will result. There is no doubt about this."

Works cited:

'Yoga: The Method of Re-Integration'
by Alain Danielou
University Books, 1955

'Beacon Light of the Himalayas'
by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi
SRM Publications, 1955
http://tinyurl.com/ydl84gy

'Gurudev Satsang'
by Swami Brahmanand Saraswati, Shankaracharya of Jyotir Math
http://www.paulmason.info/gurudev/gurudev.htm

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 11:58 AM,