--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu  wrote:

> It's an okay show, however the US version was written by the same
folks
> who did the Danish version. They also got more budget to work with.  A
> lot of the dialog was even the same. I liked the US version too.

Taste is relative, and yours is no relative of mine. :-)

More seriously, I can imagine that there must have been "good parts" in
the US version. It's just that I couldn't get past the heavy-handed
Americanism of it to give a shit about any of the characters, so I
stopped watching after episode 2. Most were caricatures, not characters,
especially those supposed to be Mexican.

If the original writers did this, I simply have to assume that they knew
as little about both America and Mexico as most Americans would know
about Sweden and Denmark.

> It's hard to say who the culprits are in distribution.  It could be
the
> Danish network itself that didn't want  to let go of the rights.  But
> then FX might have demanded as part of the deal it couldn't be
released
> in the US.  Stupid because only a small percent of US viewers, those
of
> us who like indie and foreign film, would want to watch a show with
> subtitles.  Sometimes these shows like the original version of "The
> Killing" are available via DVD but they are Region 2 encoded (not to
> mention overpriced) on Amazon.  Some of us have players that are
region
> free.

Indeed, it's hard to tell where the fault lies in things like this.
Wherever it lies, I hold those parties responsible for keeping folks in
the US who are interested in seeing the original of a good series from
doing so.

This "It's good, so we've gotta remake it" mindset demonstrates IMO not
only a poverty of marketing imagination (negating those of us who don't
mind subtitles), but a poverty of creative imagination as well. They
literally can't think up any good ideas of their own (or not enough of
them, at any rate), so they rip off ideas that have been popular
elsewhere.

I still refuse to see a Harvey Keitel movie after the butchering he gave
to the lead character in the terrible American remake of "Life On Mars."
That has to rank at the top of my Worst Remakes Of All Time list.

As for DVD players that have been hacked to be region-free, it's IMO the
only way to go if you are a film lover. Many classic films are no longer
available in Region 1 releases, so if you want them, you have to go
elsewhere. And "out of the box," your player won't play them, because
lawyers made the manufacturers set them to Region 1 Only.

In many cases, all that is required to do it for many models is to enter
a specific sekrit code (to set it to Region 0, or "Don't bother
checking") on the unit's remote control. The sekrit codes themselves can
be found for most devices on the Net by Googling "region free." About
half of my remaining DVDs are Region 1 (America), but the rest come from
all over the world, and I've never had the least bit of trouble playing
them on my hacked Samsung player.