Turned on the TV at random in Hawaii recently and saw this guy, Eli
Jaxson-Bear, speaking. Hadn't heard of him before, as I
don't 'collect' teachers. He says some interesting things, though:

I was not drawn to a spiritual life initially. Personal awakening
never interested me. Like most people, I just wanted to be happy,
which meant that I wanted everyone to love me and do what I wanted
them to do and to be free to do whatever I wanted to do. And like
most everyone else, I was not successful at this. So even though I
had loving parents and a comfortable upper middle-class life, I was
miserable and I made those around me miserable. A typical neurotic
childhood.

In 1965, I was drawn into the civil rights movement as a first-year
college student, and I loved the thrill of fighting for freedom. It
made me feel very alive. So I became interested in stopping the
suffering in the world. I never considered stopping my own
suffering. I always saw the suffering as "out there," and I would do
something to change it. Also, I never saw my part in creating
suffering. Suffering was always created by others: racists,
capitalists, corporations. In this way, I denied my own part and
also did not look at the root causes of my own suffering. This is
the immaturity that precedes the spiritual search.

In my attempts to stop the suffering in the world I was tested, as
everyone is tested. How far was I willing to sacrifice my own
comfort, my own career, my own pleasures for what I said I truly
wanted? In this testing, if you stay true to something more
important than your own immediate self-interest, there is a
maturing, a ripening. This is the spiritual path, whether it is
called spiritual or not.

The spiritual path is the willingness to confront yourself. To
examine yourself and expose the lies that you have been telling
yourself to justify doing whatever it is that you want to do. This
is a painful, humiliating process and very uncomfortable. The
temptation is to sit and meditate 20 minutes a day and call it a
spiritual life; to have sex and call it tantra and make believe it
is spiritual. True spirituality means ruthless self­-examination and
the deepening of a willingness to bear whatever it takes to stay
true. This is a natural ripening that leads to finding the true
teacher.

Note: He goes on to describe the 'true teacher' as the Self. Also
appears to be familiar with Papaji, who was mentioned earlier.

for more:
http://www.leela.org/library/interviews/connections97.html