Re "I vary between larkish and owlish as far as bedtime is concerned.":

 I'm hardcore owlish and always have been. Maybe I should have been a night
worker.

 It's true that when, on occasion, I've had to get up very early there is
something refreshing and enlivening about the experience (and I, for sure, feel
virtuous!) but the novelty soon wears off.
 The dark makes life seem more mysterious and exciting and deep. Isn't it
because you're more attuned to your inner life? In daylight you are
over-powered by the sights and sounds around you.