--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, bbrigante <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> SNIP>
>
> > Bush is something that never should have happened
> > in the first place, a stupid mistake.
> >

> ********
>
> Every group gets the government it deserves

Yeah, that's a given.  I was trying to get at
something else entirely and having trouble
articulating it.

> -- Bush is a mistake
> only in the sense that he is representative of a very mistaken
> people. Bush happened because the American people are, on average,
> as stupid as he is (turn on the TV any night if you doubt that),
> and they continue to channelize his thinking. Only higher
> consciousness among the populace will create a situation where more
> intelligent leaders are enabled.

See, we *used* to have more intelligent leaders,
even if they were bad ones.  That was why I was
comparing Bush with Nixon.

Shakespeare could have written a play about Nixon;
he's a Richard III-type character.  But Shakespeare
would never have written a play about Bush.  He just
doesn't have the *stature*.  There's more to it than
lack of intelligence (and he isn't stupid IQ-wise).
Bush doesn't have a tragic flaw; his flaws don't
rise to the level of tragedy.  Bush wouldn't even
be worth writing a history play about because he
isn't an interesting enough personality.

For that matter, Shakespeare could have written a
play about Clinton, or Lyndon Johnson, or Kennedy,
or Eisenhower, even Jimmy Carter, or Bush I.

Bush is at the center of some of the most important
events and trends in American (and world) history.
But he's just a cipher, an *absence*.  There's no
there there.

If Shakespeare *had* to write a play about the Bush
era, the main character would have to be Karl Rove,
or perhaps Cheney; Bush would be a minor character.

That's why I say he's a mistake--it's as if the
trends of time took a detour they weren't supposed
to take and got stuck in a dead end.