My first experience with the idea of "biochemical individuality" came in 1972 when a friend's wife who was attending naturopathic college recommended it get a physical there. The MD (who was getting his ND) asked if I was a vegetarian and I said "no, but I've been trying it for a couple of weeks." He told me I was already showing signs of anemia and recommended eating some animal protein two or three times a week.

That began my interests in using specific diets with first the macrobiotic diet after reading William Duffy's "Sugar Blues". BTW, that isn't about just eating brown rice and the books on it had diets to balance yin and yang and would often recommend fish.

Then there was then interest in ayurveda sparked by the AE courses. I got some books on that to read up on it. Another interest among TM'ers in the late 1970s was the Bieler diet. He was an endocrinologist who had specific diets for people with different endocrine makeups. The doctor TM'er saw for that was Abravenal out of Los Angeles.

Finally a group of folks in Seattle got interested in the Kelley program which was a computerized diet system that evaluated whether you were a fast oxidizer, slow oxidizer or mixed oxidizer. There were diet programs for each and specific supplements. To this day I use these concepts along with Indian and Chinese medical concepts to keep my body out of trouble.

Nutrition is not an ideology. You NEED to eat what your body needs. There is no way around this. I've watched people who shouldn't be vegans adopt that diet (which is primarily a cleansing diet) start living "in their head". They seem to like the high but some of them are beginning to have the medical problems that an inappropriate diet can cause.