noozguru, when I was a little girl, my Granny would take me to Woolworth's in
Upper Marlboro, MD, yes Marlboro country! and give me a dollar to buy comic
books for reading while she was taking a nap. Even back then, I could stretch a
dollar like nobody's business!

I hadn't made that connection between five and dimes and dollar stores but it
makes sense.