There were "five and dime" stores back when prices for the stuff they sold were
that low. By the time I was shopping in Woolworth's and Newberry's in the '50s,
"five and dime" was already way out of date due to inflation, although the term
was still used by the older generation. And they had departments and regular
stock that they ordered, unlike most of today's dollar stores. (Woolworth's had
a terrific "notions" department, for instance--thread and needles and pins and
yarn and hooks-and-eyes--including drawers and drawers full of Simplicity
patterns for home sewers.)

 I doubt dollar stores have ever made more of a profit than five-and-dimes. In
most cases the dollar stores' goods are not "costlier" (and many of the stores,
around here at least, are quite small, much smaller than the old
five-and-dimes). I don't think you're taking inflation into account; the dollar
stores' business model is very different than that of the five-and-dimes.

 There used to be "five and dime" stores too.  Dollar stores probably arise out
of the fact that bigger stores wanted to devote their precious shelf space to
costlier hence more profitable items.  It appears that Dollar Tree eliminates
vendors coming in to stock the shelves so a Dollar Tree truck just delivers all
the inventory.  The companies who set up deals with Dollar Tree probably just
send their truckload(s) to a central warehouse. This obviously eliminates a lot
of cost.

 There also appear to be jobbers who supply the independent dollar stores in
much the same way.  Difference is that some of these stores will have
additional items priced at more than a dollar.  We just lost the nearby
independent that just stocked dry goods not food like Dollar Tree.  There was
something said about the town council having something to do with pushing them
out while a steak house went in to the location. More taxes from a steak house
than a dollar store.