--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com,  wrote:

> "Weber, in an oft quoted passage, defined charisma as a certain
quality of an individual personality, by virtue of which [s/]he is set
apart from ordinary [people] and treated as endowed with supernatural,
superhuman, or at least specifically exceptional powers or qualities.
These are such as are not accessible to the ordinary person, but are
regarded as of divine origin or as exemplary, and on the basis of them
the individual concerned is treated as a leader." 1"

I would suggest -- and in fact have, many times -- that a synonym for
charisma in many cases is Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

There is a weakness in many people and their basic *lack* of self
confidence and self awareness that makes them "easy prey" for those who
have a surfeit of it. They encounter someone who is so "taken with
themselves" that they can literally think of nothing and no one else and
they project a bunch of admirable qualities onto a disorder that is
largely devoid of them.

Think about the arrival on FFL of someone who is as classic an example
of NPD as has ever existed. Some people saw the endless "But enough
talking about me...let's talk about me" drivel as what it was and lost
interest, and some looked at the same drivel and somehow projected
greatness onto it.

To this day, the most dismaying thing about my entire experience at FFL
has been the fact that many people here were completely *unable* to
recognize two classic psychopaths -- Ravi and Robin -- when they
encountered them. Instead they admired them, became their groupies, and
in one case actually created a small cult following around them. That is
worrisome, especially in a group of people who claim to be
"sophisticated spiritual seekers" who've been "on the path" for 20-30
years. To have spent that much time theoretically studying the
psychology of enlightenment without being able to tell it from the
psychology of psychopathology is shocking.