all the saints I ever communed with were cats, and they all loved to kill mice
On Wed, 1/22/14, awoelfleba...@yahoo.com <awoelfleba...@yahoo.com> wrote:

 Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: The Postcharismatic Fate of New Religious
Movements.
 To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
 Date: Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 2:25 AM

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com,
 <dhamiltony2k5@...> wrote:

 In
 Graphing data-pairs of Saints and spiritual groups; along
 the path we all long-timers had experience to some
 degree with ranges and distribution of  personality
 narcissism in
 spiritual people, from ordered to disordered and with
 continuum of
 relatively saintly charismatic affect and the less than
 saintly
 spiritual behaviors.  In looking at spiritual leaders or
 looking at
 spiritual groups historically I tend to draw back and place
 them on
 Cartesian paired-data graphs working two types of relative
 scales to
 get a fix on the spirituality.  I find this works good as
 framework
 for placing any group or saint relatively.  Weber's
 definition of
 Charismatic can be one scale.   There also comes a calculus
 that can
 be seen through time with charismatics or their groups
 (life-cycle)
 for instance if you plot transformative spiritual
 affective-ness on
 one axis against the altruistic evolution of group
 organizational
 development on another.  Graphing like thus one can parse
 variously
 using data-pairs of scale to sort them out relatively.

 For instance,
 https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/communal-studies-forum/BVT5Okg_nfc

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/communal-studies-forum/BVT5Okg_nfc

 Awoelflebater writes:

 How many times do I have to tell you
 Bucko, there are NO SUCH THINGS AS SAINTS. Get over it. Go
 stare your
 horse in the face, look in his eyes and tell me this is not
 the most
 sublime, the deepest thing you will ever see. Collecting the
 ashy
 crap emanating from some fake's toes or feet or whatever
 it was you
 said you saw is downright creepy. Get a grip. For a farmer,
 you need
 to get grounded again. I think you've flown off in the
 cornfields to
 somewhere imaginary and strange.

 Weber's
 definition of charismatic is
 good for purpose of discussion generally and also for
 extending out
 to include the uncomfortable person who is skeptically asking
 in
 unknowing
 disbelief, “what exactly's a saint?”   I feel
 that granting the
 spiritual consideration of charisma makes the whole
 consideration of
 spirituality and charismatic leadership much more
 interesting and also makes for a more interesting sense of
 history too if people will grant for
 sake of discussion that charismatic saints do happen.
 Weber's
 definition then begins to allow for further scholarly
 consideration
 of spirituality and of even the saintly, if people will
 grant it rather
 than just being in a position of contending and denying
 it.
 -Buck
 Thanks Buck but did you go
 out and look into your horse's eyes today? If you did,
 can you tell me what a "saint" can relay to you
 that those eyes can't? Did you feel anything? Learn
 anything? Did you realize that saintliness, depth and wisdom
 is everywhere to be found in the things around you? Did you
 know that the powers that be can't kick you out of the
 Dome for transcending into your horse's eyes? Sounds
 like a win win to me.
 I am not
 "uncomfortable" with the possibility that what you
 think of as "saints" exist, indeed, I surely hope
 they do. I believe all things are possible, including all
 manner of beings. "Unknowing disbelief" does not
 describe the nature of my incredulity about the existence of
 saints. I just don't think they are what you and others
 think they are. I think they are way more than
 that.
 Turq,
 separating the NP-Disordered as a
 consideration is just a scale with a range and distribution
 of
 consideration around the real spiritual charismatic.  The
 Dis-ordered may just indicate bad nurture of upbringing or
 some bad
 nature of dis-ease of genetic material otherwise and both
 may be independent of
 a charismatic life of saintly-hood as a trans-formative
 affective
 energy field in time.  Bad nurture or bad nature may
 travel with charisma evidently as part of the story.
  That is only human?  The OEM of the human form
 does come with ego included as part of the factory package
 on earth.  That evidently can give us all a lot to talk
 about and I appreciate your journalistic pursuit of the
 subject here.
 -Buck in the Dome

 > "Weber, in an oft quoted passage, defined charisma
 as a certain quality of an individual personality, by virtue
 of which [s/]he is set apart from ordinary [people] and
 treated as endowed with supernatural, superhuman, or at
 least specifically exceptional powers or qualities. These
 are such as are not accessible to the ordinary person, but
 are regarded as of divine origin or as exemplary, and on the
 basis of them the individual concerned is treated as a
 leader." 1"

 Turq
 writes:I would suggest -- and in fact have, many
 times -- that a synonym for charisma in many cases is
 Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

 There is a weakness in many people and their basic *lack* of
 self confidence and self awareness that makes them
 "easy prey" for those who have a surfeit of it.
 They encounter someone who is so "taken with
 themselves" that they can literally think of nothing
 and no one else and they project a bunch of admirable
 qualities onto a disorder that is largely devoid of them.

 Think about the arrival on FFL of someone who is as classic
 an example of NPD as has ever existed. Some people saw the
 endless "But enough talking about me...let's talk
 about me" drivel as what it was and lost interest, and
 some looked at the same drivel and somehow projected
 greatness onto it.

 To this day, the most dismaying thing about my entire
 experience at FFL has been the fact that many people here
 were completely *unable* to recognize two classic
 psychopaths -- Ravi and Robin -- when they encountered them.
 Instead they admired them, became their groupies, and in one
 case actually created a small cult following around them.
 That is worrisome, especially in a group of people who claim
 to be "sophisticated spiritual seekers" who've
 been "on the path" for 20-30 years. To have spent
 that much time theoretically studying the psychology of
 enlightenment without being able to tell it from the
 psychology of psychopathology is
 shocking.

 O).