you know, I never thought about it that way before, but I guess back in the
70's and 80's, TM WAS my religion.
On Sun, 1/19/14, Richard Williams <pundits...@gmail.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] RE: Apostasy, is a terrible thing.
 To: "Richard J. Williams" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
 Date: Sunday, January 19, 2014, 3:55 AM

       Share:> What I reject is the idea that
 we are defective in our core, by
 > our very nature. I guess
 that makes me apostate!>
 Well, it looks like
 it's settled then: MJ and the TurqoiseB were the real
 True Believers, whose religion was TM -  - the only
 apostates left on the forum. It looks like nobody else on
 FFL ever considered TM to be their religion. You can't
 be apostate from something you don't believe in. Go
 figure.

 On Sat, Jan 18, 2014
 at 8:14 PM, Share Long <sharelon...@yahoo.com>
 wrote:

       Judy, once again I
 think it is a matter of language choice. I would say that I
 need to fully realize my fundamental unity with the divine,
 with all of creation. Rather than that I stand in need of
 redemption. For me, each of these wordings has its own
 flavor or tone. I prefer the former wording for various
 reasons. It may not be how the Church would say it. But I
 believe it is closer to how Jesus would express it.

 I recognize that all of us humans need to grow. What I
 reject is the idea that we are defective in our core, by our
 very nature. I guess that makes me apostate!

    On Saturday, January
 18, 2014 5:21 PM, "authfri...@yahoo.com"
 <authfri...@yahoo.com>
 wrote:

       And I never said you should believe it. Why
 are you repeating yourself?

 If you don't think you stand in need of redemption,
 that's fine with me.
 << Judy, true you said
 Christianity but my personal experience is with Catholicism.
 I still think it's unhealthy to think that humans are
 defective by nature and I don't believe that Jesus
 taught that. >>

     On Saturday, January 18, 2014 3:50 PM,
 "authfriend@..." <authfriend@...> wrote:

       I do believe I said "Christianity,"
 not "Catholicism," Share. I'm astonished you
 weren't aware that it's Christian doctrine across
 the board. As I said, if we weren't defective,
 there'd have been no need for God to send Jesus to
 redeem us and make us acceptable in God's
 sight.

 I'm not saying you or
 anybody else should believe this. It was just an aside, a
 reminder that this is what Christianity says.

 The story about the pope and the Portuguese fishing
 industry is apocryphal, BTW. Days of penitence, including
 the practice of abstaining from meat, had been established
 long before there was a Portuguese fishing industry
 important enough for a pope to be concerned about.

 << Judy, this
  is where I part company with Catholicism, the belief that
 people are defective at their core. I don't
  think this is a healthy belief and I doubt that Jesus
 taught it.

 I left the Church when they said it was no longer a mortal
 sin to eat meat on Friday. I realized how arbitrary their
 rules are. Later I heard that some Pope made that rule to
 help the Portuguese fishing industry! >>

     On Saturday, January 18, 2014 1:51 PM,
 "authfriend@..." <authfriend@...>
  wrote:

       Did you not read
 what I wrote, Share? The distinction in terms of words is
 arbitrary. Shame isn't inherently toxic, and
 guilt isn't inherently healthy. You
 can redefine the words all you want, but all you're
 saying is that one shouldn't feel that one is
 fundamentally wrong, bad, defective (or at least no more so
 than anybody else--it's a basic doctrine of
 Christianity, of course, that everyone is fundamentally
 wrong, bad, and defective; otherwise we wouldn't need
 redemption).

 << Judy,
  contemporary psychologists find it useful to distinguish
 between guilt which is healthy and shame which is toxic,
 where shame indicates feeling that one is fundamentally
 wrong, bad, defective. >>

    On Saturday, January
 18, 2014 1:31 PM, "authfriend@..."
 <authfriend@...> wrote:

       It's still an
 arbitrary distinction, Share. Shame need not involve the
 sense that there's something wrong with you rather than
 that there was something wrong with what you
 did.

 And anyway, the sense that
 there's nothing wrong with you is
 delusionary. If there were nothing wrong with you, you
 wouldn't have done anything wrong in the first place.
 It's just a faux distinction. Psychologists don't
 want you to beat yourself up endlessly about what you did,
 and that's fine, but it doesn't mean you
 shouldn't feel shame at all, ever.

 My last sentence is what I
 mean--and what  most people (including the dictionary)
 mean--by "shame."

 Judy, my distinction between
 shame and guilt comes from contemporary psychology and I
 agree with your last sentence.

    On Saturday, January
 18, 2014 1:03 PM, "authfriend@..."
  <authfriend@...> wrote:

       That's your personal definition of
 "shame," Share. You're making an arbitrary
 distinction between feeling guilt and feeling shame. My dictionary says
 shame is:

 "a
 painful emotion caused by consciousness of guilt,
 shortcoming, or impropriety"

 I'd
 say if you are unable or refuse to feel pain about having
 done something wrong, there's something wrong with
 you.

 << emptybill, I think it's
 appropriate to feel guilt about wrong doing and to make
 amends. But imo shame is toxic. It says that there's
 something fundamentally wrong with the person rather than
 that they did something wrong. >>

   On Saturday, January
 18, 2014 12:42 PM, "emptybill@..."
 <emptybill@...> wrote:

       Judy - it was a play upon and
 between words and meaning.
 You should've
 gotten it.

 And finally, I find the notion that one
 should never feel shame for one's mistakes
 contemptible.

 I feel shame that your mistaken
 notion is contemptible.