--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Share Long  wrote:

http://www.upworthy.com/watch-the-food-youre-probably-not-eating-for-all\
-the-wrong-reasons-8?c=upw1
<http://www.upworthy.com/watch-the-food-youre-probably-not-eating-for-al\
l-the-wrong-reasons-8?c=upw1>

Growing up in Morocco, I had a number of Arab friends, who would
occasionally invite me to dinner at one of their houses (and
occasionally even in tents in the Sahara). I had been "briefed" before
attending by mutual friends who made it clear to me that refusing to eat
what was served to me was an insult of the highest order, so I managed
to fairly gracefully expand my food horizons by doing what I'd been told
to do. Suffice it to say that camels are not only for riding. :-)

Thus I got to experience the delicacy of chocolate-covered ants. Does
anyone remember the candy you used to be able to get in movie theaters
called "Raisinets?" Well, they were sorta like that, but crunchy. And,
to be perfectly honest, they were a bit of a high, probably because of
the large amounts of protein and formic acid. Go figure.

They ranked way down on the list of Weirdest Things I Was Ever Served,
however. The top of the list, to this day, was a tasty soup served to me
in a large ceramic Moroccan bowl that gave me the eye -- literally --
when it was placed in front of me. Floating on top of the tasty broth
were several sheep's eyeballs. Given the gusto with which the other
guests were busy devouring this delicacy, I kinda figured that this was
one of those "where the rubber meets the road" culinary moments in which
I kinda had to "go there" or risk offending my fairly wealthy and
influential hosts. So I did. I will spare everyone the details of what
it's really like to bite into a boiled eyeball, except to say that I
survived. :-)