turq, you have me LOLing with this eyeball story. Reminds me of a Star Wars
moment whose details now escape me. Except for a floating in soup eyeball!

 PS Yes, I remember Raisinets though my favorite was the chocolate covered
caramel thingies whose name I can't remember.

I think I better have some ginko bilobia for lunch!

On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:05 AM, TurquoiseB <turquoi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Share Long  wrote:

> http://www.upworthy.com/watch-the-food-youre-probably-not-eating-for-all-the-wrong-reasons-8?c=upw1

Growing up in Morocco, I had a number of Arab friends, who would occasionally
invite me to dinner at one of their houses (and occasionally even in tents in
the Sahara). I had been "briefed" before attending by mutual friends who made
it clear to me that refusing to eat what was served to me was an insult of the
highest order, so I managed to fairly gracefully expand my food horizons by
doing what I'd been told to do. Suffice it to say that camels are not only for
riding. :-)

Thus I got to experience the delicacy of chocolate-covered ants. Does anyone
remember the candy you used to be able to get in movie theaters called
"Raisinets?" Well, they were sorta like that, but crunchy. And, to be perfectly
honest, they were a bit of a high, probably because of the large amounts of
protein and formic acid. Go figure.

They ranked way down on the list of Weirdest Things I Was Ever Served, however.
The top of the list, to this day, was a tasty soup served to me in a large
ceramic Moroccan bowl that gave me the eye -- literally -- when it was placed
in front of me. Floating on top of the tasty broth were several sheep's
eyeballs. Given the gusto with which the other guests were busy devouring this
delicacy, I kinda figured that this was one of those "where the rubber meets
the road" culinary moments in which I kinda had to "go there" or risk offending
my fairly wealthy and influential hosts. So I did. I will spare everyone the
details of what it's really like to bite into a boiled eyeball, except to say
that I survived. :-)