emptybill:
> As usual, you are really only interested in spouting
> off what you have read. However, what you have read is
> not deep and comprehensive and it shows in your
> amateurish identifications of the influences between
> separate traditions.

Get back to us when you get some time for reading and research. You don't
get historical knowledge from gazing at your navel. According to many
Indian scholars, Shankara and Gaudapada were crypto-Buddhists.

Gaudapada incorporated aspects of Buddhism into Advaita in order to
reinterpret the Upanishads and the Brahma Sutras. According to Sharma, the
early commentators on the Brahma Sutras were all realists and/or pantheist
realists, NOT monist idealism. In fact, many of the statements in Brahma
Sutras can be taken to be dualist or quasi-dualist thinking.

Nowhere in the Brahma Sutras of Badarayanya do we find any statement
extolling "Pure Consciousness" as the one ultimate reality; nor any
statement about "non-origination"; or any references to the four-corned
negation; or any statement about maya's illusory markers; nor any reference
to "two truths" of Nagarajuna.

According to Raju, the fourth chapter of Gaudapada's Mandukya Karika —
Alatasanti Prakarana — is very differnet from the other chapters - it shows
direct a Mahayana Buddhist style of dialectic. Gaudapada shows the deepest
respect for the Buddha whom he salutes repeatedly, and quotes freely from
Vaasubandhu and Nagarjuna.

Raju says that it was who bridged Buddhism and Vedanta. "He took over the
Buddhist doctrines that ultimate reality is pure consciousness and "that
the nature of the world is the four-cornered negation". That is why
Shankara was severely criticized by Ramanuja, Madhva, and Nimbarka, because
Shankara had become a closet-Buddhist, to the point of taking up the ochre
robe and instituting a monastic system modeled after the Buddhist Sangha.
Go figure.

Excerpt from Mahayana Sutra Lankara by Asanga Maitreyanatha:

"Pure consciousness is the only Reality. By its nature, it is
Self-luminous." (XIII, 13). "Thus shaking off duality, he directly
percieves the Absolute which is the unity underlying phenomena
(dharmadatu)" (VI, 7 - Sharma).

Works cited:

'The Philosophical Traditions of India'
by P.T. Raju
University of Pittsburgh Press, 1972
p. 177.

'A Critical Survey of Indian Philosophy'
by Chandrahar Sharma, M.A., D. Phil., D. Litt., LL.B.,
Shastri, Dept. of Phil., Benares Hindu U.
Rider, 1960
pp. 112-113