Share:
> Otherwise, I don't have much to say about it.

According to Barry, Advaita is all you people talk about up there at the TM
center. But, I don't think Jerry Jarvis would approve of talking about
Advaita in any TM introductory lecture. From what I've read, MMY didn't
even mention Advaita very much in his lectures, especially concerning the
illusory aspect of maya. Go figure.

In Indian philosophy Mahamaya is the direct cause of the experience of the
world. To reiterate: In Advaita Vedanta maya is the cause of the appearance
of the material world - it is true in the relative sense, but "untrue" in
the absolute sense. Thus maya is real, not unreal, an appearance only, not
the transcendental Brahman itself. The goal of TM spiritual practice is the
*isolation* of the Purusha from the prakriti and the knowledge and ability
to distinguish between them by the experience of Pure Consciousness.

According to the Adi Shankara, maya is just like the metaphor of the wet
dream, where one dreams of copulating with a tantric sexual partner.
Although one may perceive the ejaculate on bedclothes as real, upon waking
everyone knows that the lovemaking was not true and that the conjugation
was illusory.

"For those well versed in the Vedaanta the world is like a city of
Gaandharvas - an illusion." - Gaudapadacharya

Work cited:

'Gaudapada'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaudapada