A Tradition of World Teachers

[image: Inline image 2]

The Holy Tradition - painting by Raj Varma

"The Shankaracharyas and their devotees have a heightened concern for
apostolicity. This concern has an obvious theological implication, for
unbroken lineage in Advaita symbolizes the eternal in humankind, in history
and in the cosmos. The teaching of the Shankarcharyas is the continuation,
it is believed, of Sanatana Dharma in its Advaita expression from
generation to generation. The guru of this religious center is the
spiritual head of the Danda Sannyasis, numbering over 1,000, and as such
engages in the role of a Rajaguru which, as we shall see, distinguishes him
from the others." - William Cenkner

So, let's review the SBS Parampara:

Narayana
Padma Bhava
Vasishtha
Shakti
Parashara
Badarayana
Shudadeva
Gaudapapda
Govinda
Shankara
Trotaka
Brahmananda
Shantananda
Vishnudevananda
Vasudevananda

Are we agreed so far?

So,let's review the SBS Parampara:

Narayana.

An archetypal solar personification of the divine single, imperishable,
cosmic, idea. The reality underlying and inhabiting all life,
Consciousness, Chit identified with Jaggadishu Vishnu, the symbol of
spiritual enlightenment (Gayatri Mantra - Rig III.62,10). Narayana, the
Absolute, the Self in solitude, alone existed, in deep meditation on the
seat called Sesha. From his hara, issued a lotus called Padma Bhava, the
'Lotus Born', Brahma, the creator of mind, who 'thought' the first thought,
in which essentially, every object in existence is a idea in the mind of
Brahma. Thus, ours is a universe composed of free thought forms, which is
an 'Ideal' existence for Atman. Brahma sat down on the lotus seat and
cognized all the mantras and the bijas and with the heat of tapas produced
by transcending the most subtle of thought forms, reposed in pure bliss
consciousness, sat-chit-ananda. Then, the 'Spirit Naar', came over the
waters  and Brahma conceived his
mind-born sons.

Vasishtha.

The first historical teacher of the order re-discovered the seventh mandala
of Rig Veda (RV VII.18). Author of Yoga Vasishtha, one of two of the
holiest books of the order, the other being the Vedanta Sutras of
Badarayana. Vasishtha was the first human teacher of yoga and meditation
and one of the most prominent rishis of the Vedic tradition. A householder
sage, who was married to Arundhati, Vasishtha was one of the mind-born sons
of Brahma emanating as vital breath or prana, thus Vasistha is considered
to be the founder of the yoga of unity consciousness.

Shakti.

Daughter of Vasistha, an incarnation of Saraswati. Shakti is not mind-born
of Brahma, but freely emanated from the cosmic energy-intelligence-time.
She is called auspicious by the wise, but feared by the ignorant. For this
age Shakti appeared on Earth as Shiva-Shakti in the form of Nataraja, who
performs the cosmic tandava dance, thus becoming the bhagavan who
transcended relative duality through performance of action born of unity.

Parashara.

The teacher of Maitreya, the coming avatar. Parashara, a famous rishi in
the Vedas, and the son of Shakti, was the father of Vyasa. Parashara
cognized Rig Veda I. 65-75 and IX.97 and received Jyotish from Soma, the
moon god. A householder, Parashara was married to Adrishyanti.

Badarayana.

Son of Shakti, sometimes called Vyasa. Author of Vedanta Sutras, the most
famous of the two holy books of the order. A householder, who collected and
arranged the scriptures, later became the first sannyasin, and the founder
of the Indian system of dialectics based on the Upanishads.

Shukadeva.

A Sage who studied under Brihaspati. Shuka became a brilliant scholar whose
guru was Janaka.  Shuka was born under the inspiration a very bright,
beautiful, multi-colored parrot, hence the symbol of the order is a rainbow
over the tree of knowledge. Shuka was a householder who became a sannyasin
and while performing tapas on Mt. Kailash to Lord Shiva, Shuka achieved
cosmic consciousness. Shuka was so brilliant that he taught the Vedas, the
Srimad Bhagwatam, and the entire Mahabharata to the celestial musicians,
the Gandharvas.

Gaudapapda Acharya.

Author of the famous karika on Mandukya Upanishad, which is based on Arya
Asanga's vijnanavada -  the consciousness only school. The great Gauda
enumerated the turiya, the fourth state of consciousness, which is the
coherent basis and applied science of Adwaita Vedanta., The first
post-Upanishadic teacher and expositor of the Advaita Vedanta.

Govindapada Maha Yogindra.

Disciple of Gaudapada, guru of Adi Shankara, did not write any treatises
nor commentaries, he taught orally and by example, his reputation resting
solely on his achievements as a maha-yogiraj, a teacher of yoga, the
highest yoga possible, that is, meditation that is transcendental in its
purest form.

Adi Shankaracharya.

Auspicious incarnation of Lord Shiva.  Founder of the Holy Tradition of
Masters who make available the whole field of theoretical and practical
experience of transcendental consciousness.

Founder of the Dasanami Order and author of Brahma Sutra Bhasya. Adi
Shankaracarya established four mathas in India, and placed them under the
leadership of his four chief disciples. The heads of these four and other
monasteries of the Dasanami order have come to be known as Shankaracaryas
themselves, in honor of the founder. According to Cenkner, they are the
leaders of the ten orders of the Dasanami Sannyasins associated with
Advaita Vedanta. The northern Shankaracarya seat is at Jyotirmath (also
known as Joshimath) near Badrinath. Shankara reached God Consciousness at
Badrinath at age 32.

Trotaka Giri Acharya.

Direct desciple of Adi Shankara. The first Shankacharya of Jyotirmath,
Badrikashram, which is where the Adiguru Shankaracharya attained
enlightenment. It was here that Shankara wrote his famous Bhasya on Brahma
Sutra. The 'math' at Jyotir was the first math to be established by
Shankaracharya. The image of Shri Badri Narayana here is fashioned out of a
Saligramam stone. Shri Badri Narayana is seated in yoga posture under the
badari tree with Conch and Chakra in two arms in a lifted posture and two
more arms rested on the lap in Yoga Mudra. There is a shrine to Adi
Sankara, and the procedures of twice daily meditation on the formless
Brahman, daily pujas, rituals, and the performance of bhajans, in honor of
Lord Naryana performed here on a daily basis have been prescribed by Adi
Sankara himself.

Brahmananda Saraswati:

[image: Inline image 1]

Sri Guru Dev, Yogiraj His Divinity Swami Brahmananda Saraswati Maharaj,
Jagadguru Shankacharya of Jyotirmath, Badrikashram, Himalayas.

Infinitely Bestowed. Worthy of Worship. Vedanta Incarnate and Founder of
Yogic Flying based on Siddha Yoga. Supreme Spiritual Guru of the World Plan
and Prime Inspiration for construction of the World's Tallest building, New
Jyotirmath, based on Stapathya Veda, in order to insure Invincible Peace
through Coherent Radiating supported by Ayerved and expressed through
Ghandarved - spontaneous activity in support of the three gunas born of
nature as experienced in and through the primordial vibration sound current
of Sat Naam: "Om Namo Naryana" -  the Ordered of Infinity of Ordered So
Ordered.

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 7:49 PM, Richard Williams <pundits...@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
>> Shaktim cha Tatputra
>> Parasharam cha Vyasam Shukam Gaudapadam Mahantam
>> Govindayogindram Athasya Shishyam
>> Srisankaracharyam Athasya Padmapadam cha
>> Hastamalakam cha Shishyam tam Trotakam
>> Varttikaram anyan Asmad
>> gurn Santatam anato smi
>>
>> shrutismritipuranam Alayam Karunalayam
>> Namami Bhagavatapadam Shankaram Lokasankaram
>>
>> Shankaram Shankacharyam Keshavam Badarayanam
>> Sutrabhashyakritau vande Bhagavantau punah punah
>> Yadvarre Nikhilanimpaparishat Siddhim
>> Vidhatte 'Nisham Shrimatshrilasitam
>> Jagadgurupadam Natvatmatriptim Gatah
>> Lokagyanpayodapatnadhuram Shrisankaram Sharmadam
>> Bramahanandasaraswatim Guruvarum Dhyayami
>> Jyotirmayam
>>
>> Transliterated from the Sanskrit by Borje Mullquist
>>
>> nârâyanaM padmabhavaM vashiSThaM shaktim ca tatputra
>> parasharam ca vyâsaM shukam gauDapadaM mahântaM
>>  govinda yogîndra mathâsya shiSyam |
>> shrî shankarâcâryamathâsya padmapâdan ca
>> hastâmalakan ca shiSyam taM troTakam
>> vârtikakâram anyânasmad
>> gurûn santatamânato 'smi ||
>>
>> shruti-smRti-purâNânam âlayam karuNâlayam |
>> namâmi bhagavat-pâdam shankaraM lokashankaram ||
>>
>> shankaraM shankarâcâryaM keshvaM bâdarâyaNam |
>> sûtra-bhâSya-kRtau vande bhagavantau punaH punaH ||
>>
>> yad-dvâre nikhilâ nilimpa-pariSad siddhiM
>> vidhatte 'nisham shrîmat-shrî-lasitaM
>> jagadgurupadaM natvâtmatRptiM gatâH |
>> lokâjñâna payoDa-pâTân-dhuraM shrî shankaram sharmadaM
>> brahmânanda sarasvatîm guruvaraM dhyâyâmi
>> jyotirmayam ||
>>

>> On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 9:39 PM, Richard Williams
>> <pundits...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Our Mantra Yoga tradition begins with the Lord Narayana, the first
>>> meditator, who thought the first thought and set in motion this science of
>>> sound vibration. The thought sounds or mantras were cognized in ancient
>>> India by the rishis, that is, the seers of the science of sound, the first
>>> psychic pioneers of consciousness.
>>> In the Mantra Yoga tradition the first yogi was Yajnavalkhya, who
>>> cognized the first bija mantra, and passed this teaching to his daughter
>>> Shakti.
>>>
>>> According to the Tantras, bija mantras are shorthand for a complete
>>> description of the universe in the mind of Sri Saraswati, the Goddess of
>>> Wisdom, Learning and Knowledge. So, sounds, ergo language, was the primal
>>> vibration of Vac, that is, the Lord of human speech, who formed the first
>>> bija mantras.
>>>
>>> In a long line of illustrious masters comes this Mantra Yoga tradition
>>> from Vasistha and Parashara.
>>>
>>> So, lets review the TMer sampradaya:
>>>
>>> The TM teachers puja to SBS clearly states the desciplic succession from
>>> Shakti via the Jyotirlinga hence to Badarayana, to Gauda, to Govinda, hence
>>> to Shankara, founder of the Jyotirmatha, hence to Trotaka and on down to
>>> Brahmanand Saraswati and hence to Shantanand, hence down to Vasudevananda
>>> Saraswati, the current Shankaracharya of Jyotirmath.

>>> Shakti
>>> Parashara
>>> Badarayana
>>> Shudadeva