--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Irmeli Mattsson"
<snip>
> People can get enlightened without these inner structures. Then
they
> tend to think they are fully perfect as they are and also superior
> beings. They desperately need their enlightenment to be seen, and
> themselves to be seen as superior, because that is their
personality
> structure. The personal self, that cannot work with one's issues
needs
> all the time adulation and a feeling of power to feel good about
> oneself. Problems are seen in the world. These people can create a
lot
> of unnecessary havoc, but also help some in getting enlightened.
>
> I personally think nowadays that it is probably better that people
> develop the inner structures mentioned above before the experience
of
> enlightenment.

Very good points. I have also been fortunate to work with some
wonderfully enlightened people who have actually been essentially or
completely unware of their own enlightenment, by virtue of that
slight misunderstanding of the nature of (the remains of) ignorance:
i.e., petty suffering we resist or ignore doesn't really go away; it
just remains in ignorance, becoming heavier and darker the more we
ignore it. Paradoxically the more we ignore it, the more it binds
our attention until we find ourselves immersed in and fully
identified with suffering. Separating ourselves from the suffering
just enough to gain an unshakable foothold (often easiest to do by
locating it in the body, and/or remembering who we "really are"),
and then approaching it with an embrace of unconditional love,
allowing it to feel, breathe, etc., lightens it quickly up into its
true nature of radiant bliss. To my eye anyhow, these people are the
most amazingly blazing Suns of Brahman who were more or less
completely overlooking their own light and love and powerful
attention fields by empowering ignorance and the darkness of
suffering and not-love, all merely unrecognized and unloved portions
of themSelves!

:-)