so I amend my remarks to say that it got derailed AFTER the brahmins shanghaied
it for their pleasure - the Laws of Manu were a watershed for that I believe.
On Wed, 2/12/14, jr_...@yahoo.com <jr_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

 Subject: [FairfieldLife] RE: VERY interesting take on the vedas by an Indian
writer
 To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
 Date: Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 7:43 PM

       MJ,
 The caste system was originally created to divide
 the work in society based on the person's inherent and
 natural gifts for certain skills.  Brahmins are
 supposed to perform the priestly duties for society.
  They can come from any family in society as long as
 they are intellectually and temperamentally suited to
 perform the duties.  It was not meant to create
 permanent jobs for certain families or tribes in society,
 which is the way the caste system is practiced today in
 India.